Autumn is a good time to plant a green manure crop in your empty vegetable plot. Green manures are sown deliberately to be dug back into the soil before they flower. This helps improve fertility, suppress weeds, stop leaching and soil errosion and helps condition the soil.
Empty Plot Tips
- Clear up debris and weeds and make the plot tidy.
- Test soil and add lime to prevent it becoming too acid and reducing future crops.
- Leave pea and bean roots to rot down.
- If soil is heavy dig and leave large clumps for the frost to break down
- Replan paths and cropp rotation for next year. Do not walk on wet ground.
- Incorporate rotted compost.
- Mulch the asparagus bed.