Biological controls work best when it is warm and activity is highest. The more pests the more there is for the control to eat and treat.
Biological controls are pest predators that can be bought mail order. Once introduced to the greenhouse or garden they can naturally take care of the relevant pest, enabling you to garden organically and free of pests. If you are considering using Biological pest control, these are the pros and cons
Advantages of Biological Control
- They are totally organic and provide a natural solution to your pests.
- They can be effective for upto two months.
- Some biological control you don’t have to buy mail order. E.g. planting marigolds may encourage hoverfly and they will eat aphids.
- Using Biological control means you won’t kill the natural predators like Thrushes for slugs, and ladybirds for aphids.
- They don’t create an eyesore like slug pellets do.
- Saves you having to kill pests, if you are squeamish at going round your lettuce leaves cutting slugs in half.
- Some insects may develop resistance to domestic sprays.