The best place for rabbits, if it is not in a pie, is in the wild meadows and byways of the countryside. There they can do as their mum tells them and ‘eat up their greens’. As a vegetarian this is what rabbits do and that is why gardeners start to worry about them eating cultivated greens.
- Peter Rabbit sneaks into Mr. McGregor’s garden to eat as many vegetables as he can before Mr. McGregor tries to catch him. Peter manages to escape as other rabbits do in my garden.
- Then there is the image of Bugs Bunny eating a never-ending carrot. What a way to encourage kids to become gardeners.
- Tar-Baby is about a doll made of tar and turpentine used by Br’er Fox to trap Br’er Rabbit. The more that Br’er Rabbit fights the Tar-Baby the more entangled he becomes:- a modern metaphor? This is not a recommended control method for gardeners.
- White Rabbit is a character in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland wearing a waistcoat like many gardeners from that era.
- Roger Rabbit and Jessica bred a film franchise as quickly as rabbits seem to do when feeding on lettuce.