Summer is another tough season for small garden ponds. The warmer weather can spoil the balance between the amount of vegetation and the levels of sunlight.
Observations and Summer Tasks
- Aquatic plants help maintain a balanced pool free from algea in summer.
- Free floating plants reduce the amount of sun reaching the depths and keep the water cooler. Gently place new plants on the surface.
- Maintain 50% of the water surface clear of vegetation thinning when necessary.
- Deep water aquatic plants with floating leaves like water lilies benefit from regular dividing.
- Submerged oxygenating plants are vital to pool hygiene 5-20 stems per square yard of surface is needed.
- Excessive plant growth replaces oxygen with carbon dioxide at night potentially causing fish to die.
- Thin out and avoid invasive species such as Mtriophllum acquaticum.
- Good housekeeping involves topping up water levels and removing dead and rotting vegetation.
Thorpe Perrow Lake