Similar to spinach with a slightly bitter flavour Swiss Chard is pungent and slightly salty. It contains an exceptionally impressive list of health promoting nutrients. Although Swiss Chard is available throughout the year, its season runs from June through August when it is at its best.
- Swiss Chard is a tall leafy green vegetable with a thick, crunchy stalk that comes in white, red or yellow with wide fan-like green leaves.
- It is ornamental enough to grow in the border.
- Chard is easy to grow from seed and grows upto 18 inches tall and spread.
- Eat and cook Chards like spinach. Both the leaves and stalk of chard are edible, although the stems vary in texture with the white ones being the most tender.
- ‘Ruby Red’ has stunning deep veins and can be picked young.
- ‘Bright Lights’ is a seed mixture ready within a month
- Organic seed is available and if growing it organically watch out for slugs