- These aromatic plants are sometimes called “woodbine.”
- The flower, seed, and leaves are used for medicine particularly Chinese medicine for which they are grown as a crop.
- Honeysuckles are from a family of over 150 Lonicera species including, L. periclymenum (common honeysuckle or woodbine), L.nitada, invasive L.japonica & L.sempervirens.
My Honeysuckle Experiences
- My memory goes back over 60 years to a great aunt who grew a superbly scented climbing plant in her small backyard in a through terrace house. It must have made an impression alongside french cricket where it had to competed for space in the yard.
- Later in life I have taken numerous cuttings and bought some named Lonicera to add height in the garden
- Now I neglect them and leave them to their own devices. They survive but don’t really thrive. I should give them some TLC and grow them nearer to paths where I can relish the scent.
More info on Honeysuckle