Strulch is an organic mulch made from straw with embedded minerals. I made use of a lot of Strulch this spring and it has done a good job in several ways most visibly on the plants grown in pots.
Pot Plants With Strulch
- Strulch mulch reduces weed growth by up to 95% but as you see a couple of weeds poked through. However, they were easy to hand weed the recalcitrants.
- In the hot dry spring the pots needed a lot of watering but the mulchÂ helped retain moisture around plants.
- Enriching the soil and its structure as it slowly decomposes is not critical to pot plants but there are some benefits. I would have added some straw to my homemade compost if it was available.
- Even with my thin layer it lasts up to two years saving water and fertiliser but next year I will make the layer a bit thicker.
- As claimed there was no sign of Slugs and Snails so I will try to use it on my dwarf hostas next spring.
- The light brown appearance was aesthetically pleasing and seemed neat and tidy.