Where are the next Generation of Gardeners?
- Children will grow with the knowledge they acquire from sowing and cultivating seeds.
- If they take care the plants will also grow
- Pea and bean seeds are popular as they are easy to handle and germinate quite quickly. Nasturtiums and sweetpeas are popular flowers.Bulbs and tubers can be great buy get the children to handle them gently and plant the right way up
- Thompson & Morgan have a good choice of Seeds with a selection for kids.
Some of the other varieties good for growing with kids include:
- Kit for growing Cress – Cress is perhaps the easiest plant to grow, you don’t even need soil; just a small tray and a bit of light
- Nasturtium – Jeepers Creepers – another fast growing colourful variety – needs little care.
- Antirhinnum. (and give a prize if they can learn how to spell it correctly.)
- Giant Sunflowers – Giant sunflowers offer a great quick growing plant. Kids love to see plants grow taller than themselves. See also tips on growing sunflowers
- Growing sunflowers with children
- Beware of poisonous plants in garden