Primula is a genus with over 500 species and numerous hybrids, divided into 30+ sections.
Primulas all have flowers with 5 rounded petals like our own primrose Primula vulgaris. The cowslips, Primula elatior, flowers in simple umbels and the candelabras in rising tiers of umbels.
- These plant s are hardy and most will succeed in any well drained gritty soil with plenty of humus.
- All are spring flowering except Primula auricula, marginata, rubra and viscosa.
- Although most like an open sunny position care must be taken to avoid drying out in too much sunshine.
- With only a few exceptions the Primulas tolerate or even welcome lime.
- Some varieties die back to a resting bud during summer.