Water water every where and not a drop to drink unless you are an aquatic or part of garden wildlife.
February may be a bit cold to think about water features in your garden. Be ready as soon as the hard frosts are over to redesign your garden with an appropriate fountain or continuous flow of water like the powered globe above. Water features in this context are the prefabricated devices you can buy ready made, ponds streams and your own designs come under DIY
Benefits of Water Features
- Water plays with the light and can enhance any visual appearance. Water often reflects the changing colours and light temperature in your garden.
- Running or trickling water can add the dimension of sound to a landscape and as long as it keeps running it wont smell stagnant.
- Landscaping and water features can improve property values make it stand out from the rest.
- Water is restful and a feature can create a place for contemplation or a focal point in the garden.
- Some water features are designed to successfully attract wild life.
See our report on ‘Organic pond habitats for green gardeners’.