Create a paradise for butterfly and you will benefit from colour twice over. A garden full of eye and butterfly catching, fragrant flowers from spring to autumn can be achieved by selecting some of the following plants.
Butterfly feed on nectar and need this energy giving resource. They also need water from moist soil to which you could add a sprinkling of salt or grow a plant that catches water between its leave like Teasel. Their eggs need food so plant some Cow Parsley, Nettles and Butterfly weed (Asclepias tuberosa).
Butterfly Attracting Flowers
- Lily of the valley – convallaria
- Rock Cress – Arabis
- Sweet Violets – viola odorata
- Shasta daisy and Coreopsis in summer
- Buddleia the butterfly bush in white pink or lilac or even Lilac it’s self
- Dahlia, Cosmos and marigold for their long flowering season
- Petunia, Verbena and fibrous Begonia
- Delphinium, Aster and Day Lily