We all know about seeds many of which make good eating as well as perpetuating a species. Peas, beans, pumkin, carraway, lentils and sunflower seeds are all useful in the kitchen. Spores are less edible.
What is a Spore
- A spore is a small reproductive cell produced by certain fungi, moss and ferns.
- The main difference between spores and seeds is that spores have little food storage compared with seeds. Hence they are not generally eaten by animals.
- Spores are produced in large numbers to increase the chance of a spore surviving.
- Spores are often distributed in the wind.
- Spores can last for many years before producing offspring.
- Mushrooms are grown from spores called spawn.