Tips for Growing Phormium
- Phormiums make a striking architectural plant and feature in your garden.
- Called New Zealand flax the sword like leaves are leathery and useful for flower decorations.
- This variety of variegated Phormium tenax is 6 foot tall.
- Plants are usually vegetatively propagated so look like the parent plant.
- Some plants can be grown from seed but I have no experience.
- Try Phormium as a potted plant.
- Propagate by division cutting slices from the edge of a root ball.
Lots of varieties including, Apricot Queen, Black Edge, Bronze, Bronze Baby, Co-ordination, Copper Beauty, Coppershine, Dark Delight, Duet, Emerald Isle, Emerald Pink, Evening Glow, Gold Sword, Jack Spratt, Jester, Maori Sunrise, Pink Panther, Pink Stripe, Platt’s Black, Rainbow Maiden, Rubra, Sundance, Surfer Boy, Thumbelina, Tom Thumb, Tricolor, Yellow Wave. are available from http://www.fernwood-nursery.co.uk/phormium.htm