Tips on Saving Seed
- Choose your parent plant and label the stem with variety and type.
- Take off the last of the petals or wait for them to fall.
- Leave the seed head on until it is dry and ready to take off the plant.This can be helped by squeezing excess moisture from the head.
- Cut the stem about 16inch long with the label and leave to dry for a further couple of weeks.
- When dry and loose you are ready to take the seed from the dry head .
Seeds Ready to Sow
- The black seed can be packed in to packets with the name and type of one Dahlia parent.
- By saving seed this way you do not know the cross pollinator or what you will get. Be selective when you have many plants to choose from next year.
- For fun you can name the new variety but commercially cultivated varieties must follow naming protocols.
- With luck you will be happy with the result and encouraged to try again next season.