Hostas can be used for in a variety of situations due to their diversity as a species. As basically known as foliage plants they prosper in the shade but have other uses.
Use of Hostas
- Available to the gardener as foliage plants from spring to the first frosts, hostas only miss out without a winter display.
- Used as pot plants they can be moved around the garden and the right pot complements the colouring or leaf shape.
- Pots can be grown indoors and even cultivated during winter.
- Different varieties offer colour, size, shape, texture and form. This can be used to create architectural effects, ground coverÂ or lush tropical effects.
- Add to this the flowers, the reverse colours and bicolours and you have some great design opportunities.
- You can even grow your hostas in a window box.
- Hostas combine well with water locations and as companion planting.
- Hosta collecting can be an interesting pastime.
- Flower arranging using hostas is very popular in Japan where many plants originate.