The smiling face of a pansy greets the gardener during most season of the year.
Pansy is a thoughtful flower as thoughtful is what the name Pansee means in French. In the wild form it is tricoloured and often called Heartsease and is a member of the Viola family.
There are many varieties to choose from including 46 on our T&M list below.
- Great and quick results can be achieved from plug plants or seedlings.
- Treat as annuals or biennials even though they may survive longer.
- From seed, sow late winter/spring or mid-late summer 1.5mm deep in good seed compost excluding light as darkness helps them germinate.
- Germination usually takes 14-21 days at 19-24C no warmer or germination suffers.
- When seedlings are large enough to handle, transplant and grow cool.
- Gradually acclimatise to outdoor conditions for 10-15 days before planting out after all risk of frost.
- Prefers sun or part shade in borders or containers .
- The flowers are edible and useful to colour a salad.
- Summer sowings of winter flowering pansies should beÂ planted out in autumn or early spring.
Royal Horticultural Society
Gardeners tips or search in the box center right.
Thompson Morgan seeds available to buy.