Dactylorhiza foliosa is a hardy Orchid that will grow and flower in a protected spot in your garden. Originally from Madiera the established plants will produce stunning displays of flower in your garden.
Growing Dactylorhiza foliosa
- This Orchid in a tuberous perennial that will lose its leaves in winter.
- The tuberous root is hardy but good drainage and some protection with an autumn mulch is recommended.
- Dactylorhiza in the wild like damp slopes in woodland glades so it is best to try replicate these conditions.
- Dactylorhiza hybridise easily but young plants take a long time to develop into flowering specimens.
Description of Dactylorhiza foliosa
- This Orchid will flower during early summer and generally has purple or pink spikes.
- The leaves are strap like and can be spotted.
- Plants can grow 2 feet tall
- Dactylorhiza foliosa is just one of a large number of species and varieties within the genus Dactylorhiza.