- Neglect spoils many a display.
- Water and feed remember containers are a constricted environment.
- Good hygiene is important, remove debris, weeds and dying foliage.
- Deadhead and consider cutting back a bit harder. Keep plants in good shape and prune topiary regularly
- Remove plants that are not doing well or are finished
- For permanent planting such as shrubs remove and replace the top inch or so of soil annually.
- In hot weather consider shade and check water levels.
- Spray leaves early in the morning to avoid scorching.
- Prepare and make arrangements to look after pots if you are going on holiday.
- In winter protect from plants and pots from frost damage. Move to safety and shelter.
- Damp increases the risk of cracking from frost damage. Keep good drainage and keep on the dryside.
- Plants in small pots are more vulnerable to problems.
- Group pots together for mutual protection.
- Reduce height of plant to avoid pots being blown over.
- Use bubble wrap, hessian and fleece as needed for frost protection.
Pests & disease & General
- Clean and disinfect pots before reuse.
- Start with healthy plants.
- Use fresh compost.
- Regular care and maintenance including keeping on the lookout for problems
- Position pots from wind or consider screening