At the Early Spring Show
Your Fuchsias should be coming along quite nicely now.They won’t be in the condition this exhibition variety ‘Pink Fantasia’ was last month for the Spring show but soon you can be winning prizes.
Seasonal Tips for Growing Fuchsias
- The upright bush Fuchsias still need pinching out to encourage the development of extra branches.
- Bigger pots may be necessary for those that have roots showing out of the bottom of the pot.
- In the North of England I find it is still too early to be hardening off the Fuchsias but during the day they get plenty of fresh air and some liquid feed at the end of the day in the drying breeze. I will increase this by moving them outside during the day so they can get used to buffeting by our climate.
- Hardy Fuchsias have been a little slow this year but they are now beginning to show some leaf.
- Fuchsias should be kept moist not sodden to avoid flower drop – a good mulch will help.
- It is not too late to buy Fuchsias from your garden center. The larger the plant the more they will charge and there is still time for you to grow the plants and get a great flowering display in September without paying for big plants right now.