Not Dahlias again you may say but this is ‘The First Amongst Sequels’ or more photographs from my summer selection. Dahlias are a great cut flower for arranging and displaying and there is no better flower for continious cutting.
Dahlia Flower Arranging Tips
- Pompom or decorative types are the best for flower arrangers as the large headed Dinner-plate types are so difficult to arrange.
- Dahlias like a little sugar in the water and an aspirin discourages the formation of green algae
- Put stems in a little boiling water and then give them a long drink.
- Pick flowers when they have opened, tight buds will not give of their best.
- One flower can be the focal point of an arrangement or table center-piece.
- When planting select colours that you will want to pick for your house.
- Pink flowered varieties such as Jerry Hoek or Delicious go well with mauve Asters and give a lift to a red arrangement.
Dahlias for show purposes must be arranged strictly according to the specification or schedule. This single bloom is mounted in an oasis block contained within a show vase. All other entrants will use the same type of vase.