New drives, block paving and concreting over may and I emphasise may seem a good investment but think of the gardens destroyed and the habitats lost under hard landscape.
Some ‘Reasons’ Gardens are Destroyed
- Housing extensions, extra garages and granny flats can consume land fit for gardens but who cares when a green resource is lost and drainage becomes a problem.
- New housing in green fields, with high density just like the density of the planners who approve the development in the first place. Add in the infrastructure (if any) such as facilities, roads and access leads to more wet misery.
- One off builds or converting a house with a large garden into two or more dwellings (often with capital gains tax protection). An admittedly large house near me has built in the front and the back garden now is managing to squeeze in two more detached houses. Five on to one has gone and so has the garden!
- The advent of E-motor vehicles has led to charging points on house walls and thus more hard standing for more large cars.
- Decking patios and trendy designer features have the ability to send water and money needlessly down the drain. Save our gardens.