If you are doubtful about this summer’s British weather, and how can you be otherwise, then you may need some tips on watering your garden.
Xeriscaping is the creation of a garden that uses less water. No grass to cut, drought tolerant plants and appropriate landscaping are what you need.
Xeriscaping and Other Watering Tips
- Pull up weeds as soon as they start drinking your water.
- Plan and plant wind breaks to stop drying winds.
- Use plants that generally require less water. Grey and silver plants often need less water.
- Give one good weekly soaking not daily dribbles.
- Add humus to the soil to retain water and mulch the surface of the soil.
- Use larger containers rather than hanging baskets, they are easier to water.
- Use capillary matting in the greenhouse to aid watering
Water Saving Tips
- Save rain water in a water butt. It is good for young plants and saves water rates.
- Water the garden early in the morning or in the evening to reduce evaporation.
- Use a watering can not a sprinkler.
- Target each plant with enough water, do not water indiscriminately.
- Use domestic waste water that contains no bleach or disinfectant but soapy water is OK.
- Check out water saving for your garden