Cyclamen are easy and rewarding houseplants to look after as long as you control the watering.
- Keep indoor Cyclamen moist but do not stand them in water.
- Water from the bottom and let plants soak up what they need
- If using the immersion method do not get the crown of the plant wet
- Keep indoor cyclamen in humid conditions by putting the plant on damp gravel or special clay granules.
- Put the Cyclamen, pot and all into a larger peat filled pot and keep the outer pot very damp.
- Fertilize every fortnight if you want to keep the tuber for next year
Choosing and Caring for Florists Cyclamen
- Pick a pot with good fresh leaves. If the pot end is heavy it has some water in the compost.
- Indoor or florists cyclamen are more tender than outdoor cyclamen. They are usually periscum varieties in bright colours.
- Twist off yellow leaves and spent flowers near to the stem.
- Keep cool about 50-60° and away from direct sun and strong drafts.
- Do not let them freeze
- Soft leaves are a sign of needing water or having too much water. If the later stop watering take out of the pot to help drying and leave to refresh itself before repotting.
- Plants should flower through December and January then can be rested on their sides until autumn to flower next year