Should you worry about theft and vandalism in your garden?
With the time and investment many people have made it pays to consider insurance cover.
What are Insurable Risks
- Most commonly stolen items include lawnmowers, ornamental gnomes, tools, furniture, pond equipment, hanging baskets, containers, crops and even specimen plants.
- Sculptures, York Stone, Slates and other desirables need to be insured.
- There is also the danger of mindless vandalism, as well as destruction by extreme weather conditions such as snowstorms and gales, or unseen events like falling trees.
- Outbuildings, garden sheds, summerhouses, barbecues and greenhouses can also suffer damage by fire or sundry hazards.
How Can You Get Cover
- Regular household buildings and contents insurance usually covers damage to sheds and other outbuildings, as well as neighbours’ property, and third party visitors.
- Check what cover you currently have as there will be limits and excesses. Unfortunately buildings insurance or contents insurance, for outdoor possessions is often restricted to a token £500.
- A specific garden policy will offer cover up to around £1,000 for a small monthly premium.
- If you have more expensive equipment, ride on mowers for example they need to be specified in the policy or covered separately.
- Should you be the proud owner of a specialist collection of prize winning plants or antique garden sculptures again it is worth talking to a broker about individual cover.
Tips to Avoid Losses
- Lock all tools and valuables away at night and do not leave them unattended or in obvious view. Sneak thieves and opportunists are the bain of insurance claims.
- If you have valuable property like old sculptures or urns take security precautions. Chain or anchor them down down.
- Consider an alarm on your valuable possessions or summerhouse.
- If you have expensive motorised equipment it may be worth looking into satellite tracking security.
Unfortunately I do not know of any insurance that will cover the loss of a plant caused by neglect or bad husbandry but let me know if you find to the contrary.
Image “This design contains artwork that is © 2006-2008 FunDraw.Com.”