As I considered what garden product to cover this time I realised that garden plants do not get the full coverage on Garden Products. What would a garden be without plants? (Easy to maintain I hear someone say.)
Some of our costs are defrayed by the affiliate income we get if readers buy there plants from Thompson & Morgan or Jersey plants so I do not apologise for giving them a plug.
Plugging away on that theme, click on the top right and peruse the seeds and plants that you want to buy this year. The prices and deals are the same as you would pay even if you were not helping us!
Garden Plants for Free
- OK our commercial is over and you do not need to buy garden plants if you are a bit crafty
- Cuttings will root and take at this time of year. I have several Ceanothus and Dog Woods I have grown for nothing. Even some annuals can be increased by cuttings including Petunias or Verbena and healthy Fucshia, Dahlia or Delphinium can be raised from cuttings
- Saving seed or collecting it as you walk around can produce some interesting plants. I like to collect wild rose hips and grow on the seed.
- Beg plants from friends and neighbors, they are often generous if given a little praise about their garden.
- Split clumps of hardy perennials to increase the number of plants. Some just need the roots pulling apart like the primroses shown above.
- Bulbs and self sown seedlings will multiply for free but you may need patience and be willing to move the wayward seedlings