Following my summer post Fine and Fantastic Fruiting Fungus I have been out in the local woods seeking these new pictures.
Fairy Ring Tips
- Fairy rings in a lawn are a result of fungus such as Marasmius Oreades growing thread like spores.
- Fairy rings are dark green circles of lush grass in the lawn or may also be noticed as a group of toadstools in mid-summer.
- Do not compost the toadstools or even the clippings to avoid spreading spores.
- Fairy rings like dry soil so one treatment is to water and feed the lawn so the whole area goes dark green.
- It is hard to treat Fairy rings but a fungicide containing dichlorophen may help.
- The last alternative treatment is to dig out the infected area and returf.