Bear the weight of wet soil in mind but enjoy the fun of a green roof. Try maintain easy access to make life simpler.
The Ecology Building Society as befits it’s brand values has a green roof on it’s HQ building. Green roofs can be a mixture of grasses or Sedums or both and all have similar benefits.
Benefits of Green Roofing
- Improves energy efficiency with a natural thermal insulation.
- Green roofs remove CO2 from the atmosphere to maintain the area of green plant growth.
- Providing a natural and safe area for insects and a aesthetically pleasing wildlife habitat.
- Good sound insulation is provided by the layers needed for a green roof.
- Water and run off drainage control is increased.
- The independent Green Roof organisation ‘livingroofs’ has more information.
- Seed mixes are available containing plants able to withstand the rigours of a roof top environment species such as Chives, Oregano, Blue fax, White Stonecrop, Tunic flower and Ornamental grasses.
- Sheffield University hosts the Green Roof Centre