Early Flowing Rheum Rhubarb
said of plants that are making seed prematurely. A plants purpose in life is to produce offspring usually by seed. When stressed they will trigger the reproduction button and set seed.
- Lettuce and salad crops are prone to bolt and ‘run to seed’. The heart of the lettuce is then useless and the plant only fit for the compost heap.
- Rhubarb and rheums also throw seed stalks taking energy from the good parts of the rhubarb. You can and should brake-off the offending stalk as soon as it is seen. Water the plant and hope the rest of the crop is unaffected.
- Other vegetables such as members of the onion family are affected in dry and stressful conditions. This is due to the plants keenness to reproduce before it succumbs.
- Broccoli and cauliflower whose flowers open early are not truly bolting but the cause and effect is the same.
- Flowers that turn quickly to seed will inhibit more flower production. That is why sweet peas and annuals, amongst others, should be deadheaded to prolong flower production.
‘……….there exist very little literature on the possibility of manipulating flowering for seed production’ but this book from amazon is an exception
Stratification is putting your seeds in a moist material outside over the winter to allow the variations in temperature to act on them, so that they will germinate when conditions are warmer. Seed used to be put in layers (strata) of damp sand,