These Rudbeckia are grown as annuals or biennials but great perennial varieties exist. Some grow as low as 12 inches whilst Rudbeckia triloba Brown Eyed Susan is 5 foot tall and Rudbeckia maxima can be up to 10 feet tall.
- Rudbeckia are easy to raise from seed. Resulting plants are well behaved, easy to care for and flower from August until late Autumn.
- There are many varieties of Rudbeckia and I recommend hirta and fulgida types.
- Rudbeckia are used as cut flowers and for growing in pots
- Also known as Cone flowers most varieties do not need stalking
- Rudbeckia sullivantii ‘Goldsturm’ and ‘speciosa’ both around 2 foot tall have the RHS Award of Garden Merit. The ‘Green Wizard’ below is under test.
Gardeners tips on Easy Autumn Rudbeckia