- Compact evergreen shrub grows perfectly in containers to give a wonderful display. Forms a mounded, upright, evergreen that works for the border, garden bed or large containers.
- The variegated foliage is medium green with a cream edge.
- Autumn produces green-white buds that turn wine red as the temperature drops.
- Spring brings rich-flowering, pink tinged white blooms.
- Tolerant of heat, frost, shade and dry soils.
- Spacing 24 – 36″, Height : 12 – 18″, Width : 12 – 24″
Skimmia ‘Kew Green’
- This low to medium sized shade tolerant shrub provides much needed winter blossom.
- Scent from male plants is followed by attractive berries on the female form.
- Attractive foliage and makes Skimmias ideal as ground cover in problematic shady areas.
- Skimmia ‘Kew Green’ prefers a well drained neutral to acidic soil that is reasonably fertile yet well drained,
- Skimmia flourishes in full or partial shade.
- Trim to shape after flowering and mulch occasionally.
- Ideal flowering shrub for problem clay soils.
Rubella’ Award of Garden Merit (AGM)
- There are numerous lovely skimmias, generally from the Himalayas and the Far East. Skimmias form evergreen shrubs of varying heights.
- Most are ‘dioecious’, meaning they have male and female flowers on different plants, and both sexes must be planted to ensure a crop of fruits.
- ‘Rubella’ is a compact male variety with attractive red-margined, dark green leaves.
- The flower buds, which appear in autumn and winter, are a prominent feature of the plant, as are the scented flowers which open in spring.
- It is perfect for growing in containers and provides good all year round colour.
Read about other Skimmia species and Skimmia for buds and berries.