As gardeners recover from the time spent watching the Olympics spare a thought for the French. OK long enough!
On the other hand spare a thought for French Marigolds available in mixed combinations of Yellow, Red and Orange and even the stripe marvels shown in our photos.
French Marigold ‘Striped Marvel’
Marigold ‘Striped Marvel’ aka Tagetes patula or French Marigold
Each petal is evenly divided by a red and yellow stripe and this produces a thoroughly eye-catching effect.
The bushy, uniform plants produce masses of flowers, excellent for bedding and particularly good for cutting, lasting well in water.
Occasional all yellow blooms are produced through climate stress and collected seed may not come true next year.
Many varieties of Frwench Marigold, including Striped Marvel, are available from Thompson & Morgan.
Growing French Marigolds
- Sow during March-April in trays, pots, etc of good seed compost in a propagator or warm place to maintain an optimum temperature of 70-75F (20-25C).
- Sowing 1/8 inch deep. Germination usually takes 7-21 days.
- Transplant seedlings when large enough to handle. Harden off and plant out when all risk of frost has passed 12in apart in full sun.
- Beware of slugs they love the aromatic leaves of these Marigolds.
- French Marigold ‘Striped Marvel’ grow to a height of 24-30in. and flower from mid summer until September.