Traditional peonies are not really suitable for growing in pots and containers.
However recently developed ‘Patio peonies’ are designed to be suitable for the pot. They have a compact growth habit and are quite easy to flower in pot or the smaller garden!
Features of Patio Peonies
- New patio varieties are compact and do not need staking.
- They have upright stems capable of supporting the flowers.
- Use for patio display or grow as cut flowers
- Most varieties have a good strong scent to enliven your patio in early summer.
- Flowering in various pastel shades and more traditional reds, patio peonies have the traditional papery thin, double petals.
- Current varieties are generally named after cities like London, Moscow (red as you would expect), Rome, Athens and Madrid.
- Plant your new Peony in a sunny location but as with other peonies not too deep.
- Peonies don’t like to sit in water.