What is Garden Lime
- I have just given a dose of lime to the areas in my veg plot that have been cleared for winter. I like to give a bit of extra magnesium to some soft fruit trees as well.
- Often supplied as a powder of crushed limestone but also available as concentrated crystals.
- Garden lime helps to maintain soil condition.
- Calcium is consumed by vegetables and an extra supply is welcomed to replace calcium that has leached out of the soil by rain.
- Lime reduces soil acidity.
- Lime help break down heavy clay soils.
During the summer I have occasionally fed my tomatoes with liquid seaweed fertiliser and we have had a great crop but I think most other growers had a good tomato season.
What is Calcified Seaweed
- Calcified seaweed is dried seaweed and lime or other calcium based salts
- Calcified seaweed is an organic substance without any nasty chemicals. There is concern that it is no longer approved by the Soil Association for use in organic growing, due to concerns that the harvesting of this material is not sustainable and has adverse effects on the marine environment.
- Seaweed is rich in minerals, encourages beneficial soil bacteria, helps improve heavy soil structure and neutralises acid soils.
Uses of Calcified Seaweed
- As a soil improve and clay breaker it breaks up the heaviest clay without damaging soil pH.
- As a compost accelerator it speeds up the breakdown of organic garden waste.
- Seaweed adds trace elements and minerals to the soil.
- Calcified seaweed neutralises acid soil
- Adding seaweed is beneficial to bacteria and is used in lawn treatment.
Maxicrop Organic Cal-Sea-Feed Calcified Seaweed 6kg tub from Amazon