Fast flowering bulbs can be planted now and will rapidly create an exotic display.
- Colchiums and Autumn Crocus flower within days or at most weeks, producing flowers before the leaves. They can even be planted when in flower or left on a sauce to flower before planting out.
- Cyclamen also flower from the corm before the low growing leaves push through to the surface.
- Nerine will benefit from having a longer growing period but, like their cousin the Amaryllis, they flower quickly.
|Type of Bulb||When to Plant||Flowers|
Other September Planted Favourites that will flower in Spring.
- Iris reticulate are easy to plant and grow. They look excellent when grouped together in a pot or border.
- It is too soon to plant Tulips but Daffodills and Narcissi like there time in the soil before flowering between March and May.
- Anemone blanda and the blue Muscari are small plants that produce a good show and then leave the area clear for some annuals.
Bulbs for Later Planting.
- As mentioned the Tulips do not need to develop strong roots in autumn and to avoid rotting I plant them in October or November.
- Plant forced Hyacinths as soon as they are available in the shops for indoor displays or containers under shelter.
- For more exotic flowers, plant Lilies and Fritilliaries in October to over winter and flower in early summer.
- For indoors you will find Gloxinia are quick to grow and flower
Read Growing Habranthus