Where to Get New Garden Ideas
- Your own imagination is the prime source of ideas for your own personal garden.
- If you can’t get to Chelsea there are other horticultural and flower shows and many open gardens.
- Magazines, newspapers and books can spark off a new thought or provide a combination of ideas.
- Just walking around looking over walls and fences may give you an idea. I saw some very useful use of trellising offering privacy on a street-side garden without dark dense hedges.
- Trial and error has been my fall back design method but it is a slow process and after 60 years It is still to produce the goods!
Greening Grey Britain
- The RHS advocates gardens to help preventing flooding, ease stress and encourage exercise, support wildlife, and be ‘the equivalent of an air conditioning system for our cities’.
- Decking, block paving and parking spaces have taken over from front lawns and small gardens to the detriment of the environment. Turning grey areas green with new design ideas and plantings can help rectify the damage caused by urbanisation.
- I had three garages and drives for access but one was a lean too that served no real purpose. I knocked it down and have a pond, some maturing trees and a Japanese area that is a pride and joy. It’s awkward tarmaced drive was too hard to remove so it was covered in a large mound of soil that became a quick draining alpine zone.